Monday, April 15, 2013

Purposeful Observations for Literacy Coaches



Part 2 of Vision Post:  The first thing you must do is become extremely targeted in your observations.  Walk through every class at least 3 times per year using a detailed checklist.  Make sure it is based on best practices.  I created one that I’ve been using for years (I discussed it in detail in my post, Starting Point for Literacy Coaches).  Here is a brief excerpt from my own list:


Be sure to speak with your teachers about coming into their room beforehand.  You goal is to affect change.  It won’t happen if you don’t have your teachers support.  I focus on 4 different areas on these walk-throughs:  classroom environments, reading instruction, literacy stations, and engagement of students.  I write detailed notes in my notebook, for my own reference that I will use later as a guiding tool.  I do NOT write the names of teachers in my notebook. In our state, coaches do not conduct formal observations.  Be specific, honest, and polite.  Think of these walk-throughs as formative assessments for teachers. 

I always try to “catch” a teacher doing well, especially with my more resistant teachers.  Your resistant teachers truly believe that you are there to tell them what they are doing wrong.  Everyone has something they do well.  Leave comments like, “You data binder is SO organized!”  “I would love for other teachers to see you library.” “Your rotation chart is so easy to follow. Great!” “I love how you track AR progress.”  Make note of any area that shines, so that you can have an indoor field trip with other teachers or grade groups.  This encourages collaboration.

Sometimes, the most difficult comments are the negative ones. Remember, you are to lead your teachers to excellence, not tear them down.  The items on your checklist are based on best practices, so if you do not see them, they must be addressed.  If there are more negative aspects than positive ones, focus on the most necessary at the moment.  These comments are NOT helpful, “Your room is a mess.”  “No common board configuration.”  “Too much talking.” Try phrasing negative comments that lead to reflection, “How are you monitoring behavior?” “How do students know what level they are on?” “How many students took an AR test today?”    

My notes will guide me as to what needs to be targeted first for the advancement of our school.  Because we do not make formal observations, leave the checklist in the classroom with the teacher.  However, when I debrief with the teacher, I ask her to bring it with her so that we can talk specifically about what I saw.  

No comments:

Post a Comment