Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Creating Text Structure in Narrative Writing

Oh, I am SO excited about this new series of mini-lessons I just put together for our 4th grade writing class! This year, there is a heavy emphasis on text structure for our writing assessment. So, we have begun infusing it throughout each writing prompt. Our next focus is the text structure of problem and solution. Our kids already do this in reading, so I thought it would be easy for them to transfer it into their own writing.
So, I created 4 days worth of mini-lessons using a story they are already familiar with, Cinderella.
I've included cooperative learning and collaborative strategies so kids can discuss what they have identified. There is even a list of mentor text you can use. Then, they transfer the skills throughout the week into their own independent writing. Our kids are going to love it. It is a very engaging series of lessons. I hope you check it out. :) You can access it in my TPT store here: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/I-Have-a-Problem-Mini-Lessons-on-Creating-Problems-in-Narratives

No comments:

Post a Comment