Thursday, June 20, 2013

Coaching Brand New Teachers


As a reading coach in an inner city school, I am faced by a unique situation.  Each year, we have an average of 4-5 inexperienced teachers join our school.  Most of the them are in the Teach for America (TFA) program, without any background in education.  The program provides some training before the teachers begin at a school via their institute.  The institute is a month long and participants teach in small groups for one hour and lead the class for one hour each day.  It is a foundation, but it is also very brief.  The TFA corp members are bright, enthusiastic, and have their hearts in the right place.  They are great people to work with and a great blessing to our school.  However, they still do not have any formal training in education.  And then we have 1 or 2 brand new, but also inexperienced teachers join us as well.  

Over the last few years, I've come up with a few ways to make sure our inexperienced teachers get off to a great start.  The first is exchange information.  Soon after the introductions, I walk the new teacher to his room, ask him if he needs a cart, and then exchange phone numbers.  Right after I leave the teacher's room, I text the teacher a brief message like, "Hi.  This is Cookie.  I'm really glad you're at our school."  I do this just to make sure he has my number saved.  The teacher also has a person to reach out to immediately in case he needs anything like where the bulletin board paper is to what is a code red.  It also builds rapport very quickly.

After, I ask the new teachers if they would be willing to come in a week early to get their rooms started.  Of course, this is not a requirement, and none of us get paid for this time, but It sure helps the new teacher get everything done.  The TFA corps members have MANY meetings they must attend the first few days we are officially back and we all know how many opening of school meetings there are.

Next, I sit down with the teacher and go over our school's "Must Haves."  This list is not required, but they are a wonderful way of ensuring each of the components of an effective classroom are in place before the students arrive.
This is an extremely comprehensive list and should never be handed over to the new teacher without discussing. I always sit with the teacher and walk him step-by-step through the list.  This is a great way to gauge just how inexperienced the teacher is.  For example, when I go over the first item on the list, class rules, if the teacher is able to quickly state the rules they already have in mind for their class, then they are more prepared than the teacher who asks, "Well, what would a good rule be?"  I have pictures of previous year's examples on my computer to show and Pinterest also has many examples.  If the teacher is able to talk me through most of the items on the list, then I make sure they have the supplies they need and allow them to start.  I check in through texts, phone calls, and walk-throughs.  If the teacher has no clue where to get started, I will show him several examples, allow him to pick out his favorite, and then sit down and start helping him put the items together.  If I have several teachers in the same predicament, we have a "Make and Take" party in my office.  It's fun and the teachers get to know each other better.  

After, I hold our first common lesson planning session.  I emphasize the importance of going over the rules and procedures all week.  I have seen too many teachers go over the rules once and move on.  Experienced teachers know the rules must be stated, explained, modeled, and practiced ALL WEEK long (at least).  I walk the new teachers through each day of the week and if I've noted that the teacher really does seem a little lost, I will go through each minute of each day.  Gently but strongly suggest that the new teacher take diligent notes.  Then, go through the "Must Haves" as a checklist to see what progress has been made as well as clarify any additional questions.  I have a simple first week of school lesson plan (I will post it on another day) I provide to any teacher who appears a little overwhelmed by all of the tasks that need to be done. 

And finally, I schedule myself to be in each of my teacher's classrooms on the first three days of school.  It is important to write down what times you will visit each class.  This will help you plan out what your next steps need to be to support your new teachers.   

At the beginning of the year, is is important to provide extensive support to each of your new teachers. A skilled coach will know just how much time will be needed by each of her teachers and exactly what type of support.  

What is your number one way of supporting new teachers in your building?  

Get the "Must Haves" freebie in my TPT store:  

No comments:

Post a Comment