Monday, August 19, 2013

Common Core Close Read 101



I just posted a new resource on Teachers Pay Teachers:
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Common-Core-Close-Read-101-836594

I read TONS of articles and blogs about having our kids conduct a close read of the texts they read.  Most of what I've read is geared towards the middle school and beyond student.  The teachers I work with are in elementary schools.  So, I wanted to put together an easy way for us to get started using the close read.  So, I came up with this handy guide.

When I presented it to teachers 2 weeks ago, I heard lots of great comments.  The main comment was how easy it is to understand and use.  I explained how to plan for the close read, what types of text to select, and how to determine the "think marks" for each of the "reads."  This tool is not by any means the only way to conduct a close read; however, for those of us who didn't learn how to teach this way (me included), it is a wonderful kick start to the process.

Included in the resource is a handy guide to unwrap the standards.  Once you unwrap the standard, you will easily know what skills your students need to know before they are able to fully understand and address the entire standard.  I've even added an example of the whole "unwrapping" process.


This is one resource you will use again and again.  The best part is, it's only $3.50! Let me know how it works in your classroom.  

1 comment:

  1. We've been using this to plan with McGraw-Hill. I combine the RWW with the anthology. The Readers Writers Workshop is used as the "I do" and "We do." Then, the students use the model to assist them while reading the anthology in the "They do" and "You do." It is working great! How are you doing with the new curriculum?

    ReplyDelete